I’m sure you’ve seen jars of salt and sugar scrubs regularly available at anywhere from Target to high-end spas and have been tempted to try out their exfoliating powers. But why spend upwards of $30 on a jar of commercially made scrub when you can create your own using easy-to-find ingredients?
I’ve searched the web, tried a few of my own batches and come up with a recipe that should yield you a salt scrub moist enough to hold together, but not too oily, and perfect for beautifully exfoliated arms and legs.
Perfect Exfoliation Salt Scrub Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup oil. This could be sweet almond, grapeseed, jojoba, or any light-textured massage oil (don’t use cooking oil, as it is too heavy).
- 1 cup fine sea salt. Regular iodized table salt is too harsh for skin. Try using sugar for sensitive skin.
- 5-15 drops of your favorite essential oils. Choose whichever scent you like best! Try experimenting with different batches and combinations of scents. **Alternatively, if you prefer fresh citrus scents, try adding the zest from a lemon, lime, or orange
- Place salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix in the oil with a spoon or wooden stick, making sure ingredients are fully blended. You can adjust the salt-to-oil ratio for preferred consistency.
- Tap in drops of your chosen essential oil and mix well.
- Store in a cute, air-tight jar and enjoy, or package as a homemade gift for a loved one!
- Don’t over-exfoliate your skin. Once or twice a week should be plenty.
- Don’t use this formula on your face; an exfoliant for your facial skin should be extremely gentle.
- Try substituting sugar for salt for a gentler exfoliant. My naturally extremely-attractive-to-bugs-of-all-types skin is better suited for salt, but many prefer the finer grain of sugar.
Enjoy your creation and let us know how your batch turns out!