I’m sure you’ve seen jars of salt and sugar scrubs regularly available at anywhere from Target to high-end spas and have been tempted to try out their exfoliating powers. But why spend upwards of $30 on a jar of commercially made scrub when you can create your own using easy-to-find ingredients?
I’ve searched the web, tried a few of my own batches and come up with a recipe that should yield you a salt scrub moist enough to hold together, but not too oily, and perfect for beautifully exfoliated arms and legs.
Perfect Exfoliation Salt Scrub Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup oil. This could be sweet almond, grapeseed, jojoba, or any light-textured massage oil (don’t use cooking oil, as it is too heavy).
- 1 cup fine sea salt. Regular iodized table salt is too harsh for skin. Try using sugar for sensitive skin.
- 5-15 drops of your favorite essential oils. Choose whichever scent you like best! Try experimenting with different batches and combinations of scents. **Alternatively, if you prefer fresh citrus scents, try adding the zest from a lemon, lime, or orange
- Place salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix in the oil with a spoon or wooden stick, making sure ingredients are fully blended. You can adjust the salt-to-oil ratio for preferred consistency.
- Tap in drops of your chosen essential oil and mix well.
- Store in a cute, air-tight jar and enjoy, or package as a homemade gift for a loved one!
- Don’t over-exfoliate your skin. Once or twice a week should be plenty.
- Don’t use this formula on your face; an exfoliant for your facial skin should be extremely gentle.
- Try substituting sugar for salt for a gentler exfoliant. My naturally extremely-attractive-to-bugs-of-all-types skin is better suited for salt, but many prefer the finer grain of sugar.
Enjoy your creation and let us know how your batch turns out!
You’ve heard the phrase before–when you ask someone to grab dinner or stay up to watch “Saved by the Bell” reruns with you on a Tuesday night, and they respond, “I’d love to, but I really need to get my beauty sleep tonight.”
Poor excuse or legitimate reason to skip out on half off sushi night? The truth is that dermatologists tell us that sleep is one of the best things we can do to rejuvenate our complexions and allow our bodies to heal.
Some things you should know when deciding between a night out on the town and crawling into your cozy bed:
- Lack of sleep shows more on our complexions as we age. While you may have been able to pull an all-nighter at 18 and still arrive at your 8:00 a.m. class looking chipper, after your 20s, you’re more likely to have a dull complexion, dark circles, and fine lines if you skimp on sleep. This change may be caused by progressive loss of cellular water, which translates to less radiant and drier skin.
- Collagen production is reputed to increase during sleep. Collagen, which firms the epidermal layer, is said to peak during resting hours, helping to reduce evaporation and maximize water retention, leaving your skin smoother and more supple.
- Sleepless nights are more likely to suppress the immune system. When you deny your body of rest, it is less likely to have the strength to fight off sickness and skin-related problems, such as rashes.
- Products are better absorbed when your body’s at rest. Studies show that if you use a restorative night or eye cream when you’re asleep, it will be absorbed more readily than any other time of the day.
Of course, between busy schedules and the occasional totally-worth-it night out with friends, we can’t always get the six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep recommended.
The next time you have the chance, however, remember to dab on your under eye moisturizer, close the blinds, and climb into bed knowing that your skin will thank you!
At some point, we’ve all spent more time obsessing over our complexions in the mirror than we’d like to admit. You’ve probably noticed that the skin around your eyes differs from the thicker, slightly tougher skin on the rest of your face. Skin in the area around your eyes is indeed more thin, more delicate, and more sensitive than the rest of your face and should be treated as such. When choosing an under eye moisturizer, it’s important to be selective and mindful of the ingredients to maximize soothing capabilities and minimize irritation. Try keeping the following tips in mind:
- For the best wrinkle prevention, women should start using under eye moisturizers in their early 20’s. Even if aging is not visible, keeping skin hydrated will put you one step ahead in combating fine lines later in life.
- Gels or serums are often preferable consistencies for under eye moisturizers, as delicate skin in the eye area readily absorbs substances and does not necessarily require heavy creams or lotions.
- To reduce puffiness and dark circles, look for natural ingredients such as soy peptides that plump skin by improving circulation to the under eye area.
- If you’re looking to tighten sagging skin, try finding ingredients such as avocado seed oil, which is reputed to promote collagen production in skin.
- For maximum efficacy, look for eye moisturizers suitable for day and night use. A separate moisturizer for night-time use is important, as skin absorbs products more effectively at rest.
- When applying under eye moisturizer, simply dab a small amount on skin using your ring finger (which is the weakest finger and won’t stress the skin) in a semi-circular motion under each eye, then gently pat skin until product is absorbed. Be careful to keep the product out of your eyes, as it may cause irritation!
- Above all, remember that if you treat sensitive under eye skin as delicately as possible, it will reflect your time and care!
You may have heard the term “essential oils” before in connection with natural skin care. What’s all the fuss about this ingredient? How essential are they really?
Use of essential oils for both medicinal and beauty purposes can be traced all the way back to ancient Greece, where they were often used as a supplement to the beauty and health regimens of the rich. Luckily, these special oils are now available to the general public…or at least to those lucky enough to have caught on to their gentle yet effective uses in skin treatment and aromatherapy.
Highly concentrated extracts from plants and flowers, essential oils are distilled but otherwise left unaltered, making them potent and fragrant. Unlike artificially produced perfume oils, essential oils not only just smell great, but are also reputed to provide great benefits, including aromatherapy, relaxation of tired muscles, healing of acne, treatment of dandruff and protection of the skin’s natural barrier.
So where can you find these therapeutic oils? Snowy Owl Cove employs essential oils in many of its products, including its entire line of face soaps.
Snowy Owl Cove’s Indian Summer Face Bar, for example, includes essential oils to aid in the soothing of blemished skin and for moisture without a greasy residue. Don’t miss out on big power of this small ingredient!
Exciting news is coming down the pipe for Snowy Owl Cove fans! We are fully immersed in developing our Pinterest page, where you can find our products and favorite merchandise. As you anxiously await the arrival of Snowy Owl Cove … Continue reading
Snowy Owl Cove is excited to present our new shop on the Etsy Marketplace! Love the products you see here? Visit Etsy to purchase all of your favorites. Feel free to leave your comments or questions, as we appreciate all feedback! … Continue reading
The official beginning of summer is just around the corner, but in most places it already seems to be in full effect. You’ve spent all year preparing for this season, and now it’s time to enjoy the beautiful weather! If … Continue reading
Why not renew your skin naturally? When we eat better, our bodies and complexions reflect it. Try these recipes from Delish.com packed with nutrient-rich foods to help your skin glow.
Welcome to Snowy Owl Cove where our mission is to provide you with amazing, all natural beauty products using nature’s finest ingredients. Made in small batches with a thoughtful selection of powerful yet gentle components, our creations are designed to … Continue reading